Web developer, demolitions expert
1657 West Broad Street #3a
Richmond, VA 23220
After a nearly nine year career as a special operations officer in the US Navy, I worked as a contractor at Google for two years. My time there was amazing and illuminating and seemed indicative that I perhaps found my second calling. I continued to expand my knowledge base through online and formal academic settings, and am leveraging my capabilities as a scientist, developer, and project manager at Inkling Intelligence a start-up data science consulting company here in Richmond.
Chief Operations Officer
June 2016 - Present
- I coordinate the efforts of three extraordinarily talented scientists, who possess distinct and rare skill sets, in order to solve some very complex and interesting problems. Through our adventure I have gotten to work in the realms of statistical modeling, geospatial analysis, time series analysis, natural language processing, neural nets, and computer vision.
- We are designed to help small and mid-sized companies leverage their data to make better tactical and strategic decisions. This means we get to work with people who really know and care about their craft as well as being afforded the opportunity to work on a myriad of unique "problems." Everyday is different, everyday is a challenge, and everyday I learn something new.
February 2015 - Present
- When I first started at Antimatter I did not have a single line of code which lived in the public domain. In the following two years, I have routinely built custom WordPress themes and plugins, JS functionality, implemented responsive front end designs, handled maintenance requests for retained clients, and managed internal help desk tickets for multiple Underwriters Laboratories (ul.com) sites.
- Design and develop custom WordPress themes like the one utilized by this site!
As a contractor at Google, I worked from March 2012 through March 2014 in support of their indoor mapping and Android Location Services efforts. My initial role was as a member of a remote field team, but I was quickly advanced to team lead, then European regional lead, and within six months of my start date had a role created for me at Google Headquarters in Mountain View, CA where I was promoted to the highest status a contractor could achieve.
Adecco @ Google
March 2012 - March 2014
- Designed, developed, and maintained three SQL based dashboards which:
- Prioritized tasking
- Created trip packages for remote field teams
- Provided employee performance feedback
- Flagged suspicious travel credit card purchases
- Automated administrative tasks
- Enhanced communication between operations and business development
- Automated the computation of key metrics for various stakeholders
- Wrote and conducted new hire and supplemental training for all project members in classroom settings, over video conferences, and via recorded presentations.
- Considered a subject matter expert in numerous areas, I was selected to conduct in person, teach-the-teacher styled training in Chicago, London, and Tokyo.
- Established a system to track fleet expenses and key metrics to provide cost and carbon footprint analysis and projections.
- Designed project workflows for four unique data collection procedures involving six separate project support teams which provided full latency and performance tracking.
- Authored and maintained policies pertaining to company phones and apps, rental and Google owned vehicles, and rewrote public interaction policy.
- Led 4 to 12 person teams in technical on-site data collection across the US, Switzerland, the UK, and Tokyo.
- Drove engineering improvements in proprietary apps and software to increase efficiency and ease of use.
- Conducted over 200 interviews across the US.
I began my Naval Career in June of 2003 attending Officer Candidate School and finished as an Operations Department Head in February of 2012, having achieved that position two years ahead of my peers. During my career I deployed multiple times to Southwest Asia and was selected to receive, and successfully completed, multiple highly specialized training courses.
June 2003 - February 2012
2011 – 2012 Operations Department Head, San Diego, CA
- Developed, maintained, and executed schedules, incorporating 35 short term missions in support of the US Secret Service throughout the world, which resulted in the on-time certification for combat deployment of unit staff and four discrete special operations platoons.
- Managed a matrix of qualifications and billet assignments for all 203 members of the unit ensuring ten deployable platoons met all requisite competencies while providing for the career progression of all members.
- Oversaw daily operations of unit to include staffing. Provided specific instructions and supervised a training program to ensure key administrative tasks were met in the absence of senior leadership.
2009 – 2011 Company Commander, San Diego, CA
- Planned and directed a long term engagement with the Iraqi Navy which was recognized as the model for Iraqi training partnerships and received praise from the highest levels of the Naval command structure.
- Managed all training, facilities, supply, logistics, maintenance, pay, training, and medical requirements for 20 personnel and 43 tons of diving equipment as well as an annual budget of $180K while geographically separated from supervisors and support personnel by 2,400 miles.
- Transported 20 tons of salvage, diving, and hyperbaric treatment equipment containing HAZMAT, medical supplies, controlled items, and classified material from the US to The Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Coordinated six training exercises and 186 joint nation military dives in nine nations while maintaining the ready dive team for the 5th Fleet area of responsibility which included Southwest Asia and portions of Africa.
2007 – 2009 Platoon Leader, San Diego, CA
- Operated independently and remotely from command leadership coordinating support for multiple Army units, relocating teams as needed to provide coverage and timely response.
- Implemented an area specific training program involving classroom presentations and a specially constructed mock environment providing Army personnel with the latest enemy IED tactics, techniques and procedures.
- Performed forensic analysis and provided intelligence briefings to senior officers as a regular part of duties.
- Led an eight person team in the detailed and extensive process of safely disposing 16 chemical weapons resulting in zero casualties and no spread of contamination.
2004 – 2006 Safety Officer, Ingleside, TX
- Was twice selected to plan and execute the dry docking operation of an MCM class ship. The first operation was in a foreign port and involved the coordination with shipyard management and workers of multiple nationalities and multiple primary languages.
Elon University - Elon, NC, 5/2003
- Bachelors of Science in Physics
- Minor in Mathematics
- Machine Learning Foundations - University of Washington - Fall 2015
- The Data Scientist’s Toolbox - Johns Hopkins University - Winter 2016
- R Programming - Johns Hopkins University - Winter 2016
- Getting and Cleaning Data - Johns Hopkins University - Winter 2016
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Introduction to Programming - Fall 2014
- Mathematical Structures - Fall 2014
- Concpets of Statistics - Fall 2014
- Introduction to Computer Science - Spring 2015
- J Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- Computer Science II - Spring 2015
- Introduction to Discrete Structures - Spring 2015
- View my Treehouse profile
- PHP + HTML
- Responsive Web Design
- Database Architecture
- Google Apps Script
- Google Big Table
- Google Maps API
- Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Technician
- Basic Diving Officer
- Surface Warfare Officer
- Naval Parachutist
- Demolition Operations Supervisor
- EOD Team Leader
- Salvage Diving Officer
- Officer of the Deck
- Conning Officer
- Battle Staff Planning
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal School - NAVSCOLEOD
- Basic Diving Officer Course
- Military Free Fall Parachute Course
- MK-16 Mixed Gas Closed Circuit Diving Course
- Special Operations Mobility Skills
- Advanced, Expeditionary Combat Skills
- Tactical Communications
- Chemical Weapons (Render safe and disposal)
- Nuclear Weapons (Render safe and disposal)
- Surface Ordnance/ IEDs (Render safe and disposal)
- Underwater Ordnance (Render safe and disposal)
- EOD Tactical Training
- Demolition Operations
- Intelligence Collection and Analysis
- Mission Planning
- U.S. Army Basic Airborne Course
- Mine Countermeasures Planning
- Advanced Underwater Helicopter Egress
- Combat First Aid, 1st Responder
- Naval Explosive Safety Manager
- Basics of Naval Explosive Control